Tips To Avoid Mold Exposure While Cleaning

Mold can be more than just an annoyance – it can also be hazardous to your health. Exposure to mold can cause symptoms similar to other allergies: a stuffy nose, irritated eyes or skin, and congestion. And for those with mold sensitivity or respiratory problems like asthma, as well as those dealing with large amounts of mold, the effects can be more serious. For these people, mold exposure can cause fever and difficulty breathing.

So if you have mold in your home, it's important to clean it up as quickly as possible – but it's just as important to limit your exposure to the mold while you're cleaning. The right equipment is key to protecting your health when cleaning up mold.

Gloves

Even if you aren't sensitive to mold and you're just cleaning up a little mildew in the bathtub, you should minimize your skin contact with mold. Wear rubber gloves, and choose gloves that extend up your arm as far as possible. When you're done cleaning, you can dispose of these gloves in a plastic bag in your ordinary trash.

Goggles

Since mold can cause eye irritation, wearing goggles is a good idea. Goggles without ventilation holes are best so that your eyes are completely sealed off; the air you breathe should only be coming through your ventilation mask.

Masks

It's very important to avoid breathing in mold, and a paper dust mask isn't enough to stop airborne mold. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends an N-95 respirator if you're going to be cleaning up mold; these are available at most hardware stores. Make sure your respirator is properly fitted to your face so that no airborne mold will be entering from the sides.

Medical Considerations

There are a number of medical reasons to avoid doing mold cleanup yourself. If you fit into any of the following categories, find or hire someone to clean up your mold problem – don't tackle it yourself:

  • Pregnant women
  • Anyone with a compromised immune system
  • Anyone with a chronic respiratory condition
  • Anyone who has had a severe reaction to mold in the past

When To Call In A Pro

If any of the previous medical considerations fit you, or you're dealing with a large amount of mold, the safest thing is to call in a mold remediation specialist, like those at AK Pest Control CVA. Inc. This way, you can be sure that you are getting rid of all the mold – including any mold hidden inside walls or ceilings – so that it won't simply grow back in a few weeks.


Share